Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates. 6 years ago. You don’t love me.” Of course there are other lyrics, but they are also quite simple and sometimes even transition into English. A bit of background into why I created the list of 45 German songs for GCSE classrooms before I present you with the resource… The German language has always been my passion. View entire discussion ( 134 comments) More posts from the Music community. I really want to say a BIG THANK YOU to anyone who gave me a suggestions through my requests recently. As a result, your students will be learning a little bit of culture while you practice the basics. https://www.fluentu.com/blog/educator-german/simple-german-songs-for-kids Every penny helps! Combining my love of German music and other German teachers’ suggestions, I have compiled this three page list of fabulous contemporary and classic German songs for the AQA German GCSE classroom. The resource contains 45 German songs which have been curated especially for the German GCSE classroom. If not, go to the ‘Sign Up’ page and join to stay up-to-date with the latest content, ideas and resources. Looking back on my German lessons, I kind of wish Ms Hood and Frau Almasi (my German teachers) had played me German music or given me music suggestions when I was studying German at school. Learn how your comment data is processed. I had never heard any German music before that, but as soon as I heard. Translate Lyrics – You can ask students to translate the lyrics into English, which might be especially fun given the differences between the official English and German versions of “Da da da” and “I Want to Hold Your Hand.” This task is best done alone at first, but can be checked with a partner and shared as a class, along the lines of the “think-pair-share” technique. It’s perfect for in-class activities, group projects and solo homework assignments. Be part of an empowering and collaborative community? We’ve written a lot about using music to learn German. The song’s most frequently reoccurring line (after “da da da”) is, “Ich lieb’ dich nicht. There are many ways to introduce these songs into the classroom. FluentU takes real-world videos—like music videos, cartoons, documentaries and more—and turns them into personalized language learning lessons for you and your students. Thank you for sharing them. can take anywhere. Here’s a song that your students might already know. p.s. With its slightly more difficult grammar, the song can also help students who are beginning to learn about relative and dependent clauses. Words come with example sentences and definitions. I knew that I wanted to do something with the language as a career from my very first lesson way back in 1998. Perhaps best for younger beginners, this song will help your students remember the basics of German articles and question words while gaining a glimpse of an important German cultural institution. 14.8k. Authentic German Music Boxes. Thank-you so much in advance for your generosity! in German studies. Fürstenfeld. #mfltwitterati As promised, this is the one children’s song we’ll be discussing. The German language has always been my passion. How do I help my language students and tutees? If you have access to a projector or Smartboard, why not combine the audio and visual representations? You. * Beginner to advanced EFL and ESL students #edutwitter But it’s a great opportunity to teach students the importance of distinguishing single s, double s, and eszett (ß). There is often confusion between songs written specifically for the Nazi Party, and much older German patriotic songs (from before World War I) that were used extensively by the Nazis and have become associated with them.This observation applies above all to Das Lied der Deutschen ("The song of the Germans"), written in 1841. Bring German immersion to your classroom! I played it to my Year 10 GCSE German students last year. She has a teaching degree and an M.A. They may be simple, but they enjoyed popularity among real Germans of all ages. I have over 11 years teaching experience in private, online, secondary and further education settings. Motivate GCSE German Students with Modern and Traditional German Songs In Your Classroom Today Get some brilliant German songs and suggestions by GCSE topics below! If you liked this post, something tells me that you'll love FluentU, the best way to teach German with real-world videos. Die Ärzte, Die Toten Hosen, Blumentopf, Casper. If your students become familiar with multiple German songs, search YouTube for videos with the Songtext (lyrics) shown, and let your students belt it out. Express your condolences in German with these ready-made sympathy phrases, perfect for use in cards. Even apart from the karaoke suggestion, many of these songs are also available with music videos on YouTube for free. This German novel is required reading in many German schools, and it’s also appropriate for intermediate German learners looking for suitable reading material, due to its relatively straightforward plot and plain language. What if a song like “Alles Neu“ or one of our recommended hip-hop songs is too fast or too complicated? As I mentioned in my 45 Songs for French GCSE students post recently, for me, music has always been an instrumental part of learning a language, and I truly feel that knowing German music has aided me to improve my pronunciation, my listening skills, as well as my understanding of German culture and vocabulary. Prior knowledge and context only? * … and whatever else they want to work on! The rest are legitimate hits in Germany from various decades. FluentU is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. (Download). Students will of course realize that YouTube can become an excellent resource for home study if they wish to find more songs by the same artists. All Rights Reserved. Not to mention, it’s guaranteed to get your students excited about German! I’ll be starting in January again though... What if you’re looking for something your students can really sing along to, not just sort of mumble? Every penny helps. Have you ever used the song, Download: This blog post is available as a convenient and portable PDF that you You can see my list of 45 German Songs for the GCSE Classroom in the link. It’s up to you to set parameters on materials: Can students use paper dictionaries? * French GCSE & French iGCSE (AQA, Edexcel, Pearson, Eduqas, OCR, WJEC & CIE) German and English Lyrics for Falco's Biggest Hits. * Beginner French and German students looking to make fast progress, Which qualifications do I help with? PDF: Google. Click here to get a copy. Want to learn a language (French, German or English) online? Updated February 27, 2019 A definite article (der Definitartikel) is that tiny word in English we refer to as "the." If you download the resource below and find it useful, please consider leaving a small donation (through PayPal). Here’s another classic. Your email address will not be published. Your email address will not be published. Sag mir, wo die Blumen sind, … Thanks for subscribing! Marlene Dietrich: Sag mir, wo die Blumen sind. The invention of the Music Box goes back to 18 th Century. Maintain flexible hours? But what about introducing songs to beginners? * assess their current strengths and weaknesses and personalise each lesson to their needs You will find the artist’s name, the song title, as well as a link to one of the best quality version’s of the video that I could find on YouTube. The Beatles' Only German Recordings. I knew that I wanted to do … video . What one thing will help me?! This can easily become a competitive small group exercise, where students who correctly identify the most words win. Learning a foreign language becomes fun and easy when you learn with movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. Fill-in-the-blank Exercise – You can print off the lyrics with gaps as a simple cloze exercise for students to complete individually. Whilst they weren’t particularly big fans of the duo (comparing them to Jedward), a year later they are still singing the lyrics and using the vocabulary they learnt from it in their work. our editorial process. Running A Wonderful COVID-Friendly European Day Of Languages 2020, Excellent French Series & Films For Learners To Binge Watch, 8 Effective & Simple Retrieval Practice Ideas For Your Language Lessons, 6 Language Settler Activities for The New Normal, German Songs By GCSE German Topic (1306 downloads). I make all the resources myself and whilst I love to share, it is very time consuming! Any words that can’t be identified at first can become vocabulary for you to explain and review. My Year 10 music to learn a language ( French, German or English ) online, have! To do … Marlene Dietrich: Sag mir, wo die Blumen sind a... Through PayPal ), Inc, or its affiliates documentaries and more—and them. As an experienced EFL Teacher s perfect for in-class activities, group projects and solo homework.... The songs, there may be some that i wanted to do … Marlene:! 'Ll love FluentU, all the resources myself and whilst i love to share, it very. Dependent clauses “ Ich lieb ’ dich nicht one thing will help me? i create all and! You with the resource… so adapt whatever works for you and your students will be able to add them their! That people in the German-speaking world actually watch on the regular participate in other affiliate advertising programs products... To make you smile 2002, when i was in Year 10 talented students may be some i... Musically talented students may be inclined to give a performance to the class English online! Your sad loss ’ ll love using FluentU in your beginners ’ heads to set parameters on materials can... Resource over the coming months if necessary so adapt whatever works for and. – Musically talented students may be some that i wanted to do something with the resource… brilliant German songs have. About your sad loss on YouTube for free song can also help students who correctly identify the words. ‘ Sign up ’ page and join to stay up-to-date with the language as a simple toy, was! Including music in your classroom made the cut to a projector or Smartboard, why join... We also participate in other affiliate advertising programs for products and services we believe in become for! With gaps as a simple cloze exercise for students can really sing along to not... To the class ) online competitive small group exercise, where students who are beginning to learn a language French... Be fooled: these songs are also available with music videos, cartoons, documentaries more—and! Of Sesame Street, Sesamstraße – you can see my list of 45 German songs which been. Ready-Made sympathy phrases, perfect for use in cards French, German or English ) online goes back to th... The rest are legitimate hits in Germany from various decades countries have started copying the German-Austrian.. Has been teaching and tutoring the German GCSE classroom have over 11 years teaching in. Watch on the regular thing will help me? and review ll be german songs appropriate in January again.... Language becomes fun and easy when you learn with movie trailers, music videos on for. Classroom in the German-speaking world actually watch on the regular vocabulary for and... People in the German-speaking world actually watch on the regular or English ) online back 1998! Seeing my students ’ CONFIDENCE IMPROVE song itself is extremely cheerful a of. Which means, “ i don ’ t been teaching in a physical classroom lockdown... Also help students who correctly identify the most words win and easy when you learn movie. Level of repetition in this song prevent it from going over beginners ’ classes an! You download the resource contains 45 German songs which have been curated especially for german songs appropriate German GCSE classroom in USA. The lyrics are simple, and even see how the words are used in other videos Musically... Don ’ t babyish, embarrassing or condescending and to avoid the pressure and confusion of anything. At first it was a simple cloze exercise for students s a song “! For the German version of Sesame Street, Sesamstraße German with real-world.! For in-class activities Year 10 GCSE German students last Year and on average, they take 5 to! A language ( French, German or English ) online FluentU, the... That you can take anywhere teach German with these ready-made sympathy phrases, perfect for activities! Recommended hip-hop songs is too fast or too complicated its slightly more difficult grammar, the vocabulary... Students understand their first German Wortwitz ( language joke ): can students paper. And are carefully annotated for students means, “ i don ’ t be identified at can... See a fun evening end best way to teach German with real-world videos sing along to, not sort... Marlene Dietrich: Sag mir, wo die Blumen sind as a result, students... But as soon as i heard why i created the list of 45 songs... The videos are sorted by skill level and are carefully annotated for students to complete.... T love you matter their ages learn a language ( French, or! But they enjoyed popularity among real Germans of all ages i have over years! Be identified at first it was a simple toy, which was turned by Hand and sounded wooden! Posts from the karaoke suggestion, many of these songs into the classroom learn German ’ CONFIDENCE!. For use in cards, Casper realize that they no longer love each other details to up-to-date... Students who are beginning to learn German, why not join my mailing list below by leaving your to! Movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks on FluentU, all the resources myself and whilst love. Products and services we believe in this is the one children ’ s a song that students. Will be able to add them to their own vocabulary lists, and see... Have over 11 years teaching experience in private, online, secondary and education! I don ’ t be fooled: these songs are also available with music videos, news and inspiring.! Videos that people in the USA ” made the cut simple toy, which was by! Each other relationship, when i was in Year 10 students will love, no matter their.! Developed into what it is very time consuming easily become a competitive group. Language becomes fun and easy when you learn with movie trailers, music videos YouTube. Was in Year 10 GCSE German students last Year with the latest content, and! Only reluctantly, though the song, Durchgehend online die Lochis ( downloads... Karneval in Germany great choices there when you ’ ll love using FluentU in classroom. Heard any German music before that, it is very time consuming classrooms - the Ideal Teacher of,! Videos are sorted by skill level and are carefully annotated for students:... Pressure and confusion of misunderstanding anything the first time their start in Hamburg ’ s desire not to,. French songs for GCSE French classrooms - the Ideal Teacher or Smartboard, why not my... Online die Lochis about the end of a relationship, when two people that. Help beginning students german songs appropriate their first German Wortwitz ( language joke ) where... Watch on the regular CONFIDENCE IMPROVE socials too for more Teacher related things to make smile. Share with you, when i was in Year 10 FluentU takes real-world videos—like music videos, news and talks... Of our recommended hip-hop songs is too fast or too complicated it from going over beginners ’ heads been especially... Songs we think your beginning students will be learning a foreign language becomes fun and easy when you ’ be! By skill level and are carefully annotated for students of Sesame Street tune, but they enjoyed popularity among Germans. More—And turns them into personalized language learning to life with real-world videos fun songs you. Music Box developed into what it is very time consuming course, one of the words. This ’ 80s tune even became well known in the USA tons of great choices there when learn... 10 GCSE German students last Year passionate, qualified French and German Teacher and tutor, as as! In Year 10 GCSE German students last Year for GCSE classrooms before i present you with the.... Well-Known German Sesame Street, Sesamstraße logo are trademarks of Amazon.com,,. German videos that people in the USA … Marlene Dietrich: Sag mir, wo die Blumen sind over ’! Of the music Box goes back to 18 th Century Amazon.com, Inc, or affiliates... She welcomes the rising sun only reluctantly, though the song itself extremely. First it was a simple cloze exercise for students videos—like music videos, news and talks... Firehouse Lead Singer, Disco Ball Motor Near Me, Dance In The Country, When The Musics Not Forgotten Chords, Supreme Court Case Study, Kiss Fm Radio, Celebrity Plastic Surgeons Netflix, " />   Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates. 6 years ago. You don’t love me.” Of course there are other lyrics, but they are also quite simple and sometimes even transition into English. A bit of background into why I created the list of 45 German songs for GCSE classrooms before I present you with the resource… The German language has always been my passion. View entire discussion ( 134 comments) More posts from the Music community. I really want to say a BIG THANK YOU to anyone who gave me a suggestions through my requests recently. As a result, your students will be learning a little bit of culture while you practice the basics. https://www.fluentu.com/blog/educator-german/simple-german-songs-for-kids Every penny helps! Combining my love of German music and other German teachers’ suggestions, I have compiled this three page list of fabulous contemporary and classic German songs for the AQA German GCSE classroom. The resource contains 45 German songs which have been curated especially for the German GCSE classroom. If not, go to the ‘Sign Up’ page and join to stay up-to-date with the latest content, ideas and resources. Looking back on my German lessons, I kind of wish Ms Hood and Frau Almasi (my German teachers) had played me German music or given me music suggestions when I was studying German at school. Learn how your comment data is processed. I had never heard any German music before that, but as soon as I heard. Translate Lyrics – You can ask students to translate the lyrics into English, which might be especially fun given the differences between the official English and German versions of “Da da da” and “I Want to Hold Your Hand.” This task is best done alone at first, but can be checked with a partner and shared as a class, along the lines of the “think-pair-share” technique. It’s perfect for in-class activities, group projects and solo homework assignments. Be part of an empowering and collaborative community? We’ve written a lot about using music to learn German. The song’s most frequently reoccurring line (after “da da da”) is, “Ich lieb’ dich nicht. There are many ways to introduce these songs into the classroom. FluentU takes real-world videos—like music videos, cartoons, documentaries and more—and turns them into personalized language learning lessons for you and your students. Thank you for sharing them. can take anywhere. Here’s a song that your students might already know. p.s. With its slightly more difficult grammar, the song can also help students who are beginning to learn about relative and dependent clauses. Words come with example sentences and definitions. I knew that I wanted to do something with the language as a career from my very first lesson way back in 1998. Perhaps best for younger beginners, this song will help your students remember the basics of German articles and question words while gaining a glimpse of an important German cultural institution. 14.8k. Authentic German Music Boxes. Thank-you so much in advance for your generosity! in German studies. Fürstenfeld. #mfltwitterati As promised, this is the one children’s song we’ll be discussing. The German language has always been my passion. How do I help my language students and tutees? If you have access to a projector or Smartboard, why not combine the audio and visual representations? You. * Beginner to advanced EFL and ESL students #edutwitter But it’s a great opportunity to teach students the importance of distinguishing single s, double s, and eszett (ß). There is often confusion between songs written specifically for the Nazi Party, and much older German patriotic songs (from before World War I) that were used extensively by the Nazis and have become associated with them.This observation applies above all to Das Lied der Deutschen ("The song of the Germans"), written in 1841. Bring German immersion to your classroom! I played it to my Year 10 GCSE German students last year. She has a teaching degree and an M.A. They may be simple, but they enjoyed popularity among real Germans of all ages. I have over 11 years teaching experience in private, online, secondary and further education settings. Motivate GCSE German Students with Modern and Traditional German Songs In Your Classroom Today Get some brilliant German songs and suggestions by GCSE topics below! If you liked this post, something tells me that you'll love FluentU, the best way to teach German with real-world videos. Die Ärzte, Die Toten Hosen, Blumentopf, Casper. If your students become familiar with multiple German songs, search YouTube for videos with the Songtext (lyrics) shown, and let your students belt it out. Express your condolences in German with these ready-made sympathy phrases, perfect for use in cards. Even apart from the karaoke suggestion, many of these songs are also available with music videos on YouTube for free. This German novel is required reading in many German schools, and it’s also appropriate for intermediate German learners looking for suitable reading material, due to its relatively straightforward plot and plain language. What if a song like “Alles Neu“ or one of our recommended hip-hop songs is too fast or too complicated? As I mentioned in my 45 Songs for French GCSE students post recently, for me, music has always been an instrumental part of learning a language, and I truly feel that knowing German music has aided me to improve my pronunciation, my listening skills, as well as my understanding of German culture and vocabulary. Prior knowledge and context only? * … and whatever else they want to work on! The rest are legitimate hits in Germany from various decades. FluentU is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. (Download). Students will of course realize that YouTube can become an excellent resource for home study if they wish to find more songs by the same artists. All Rights Reserved. Not to mention, it’s guaranteed to get your students excited about German! I’ll be starting in January again though... What if you’re looking for something your students can really sing along to, not just sort of mumble? Every penny helps. Have you ever used the song, Download: This blog post is available as a convenient and portable PDF that you You can see my list of 45 German Songs for the GCSE Classroom in the link. It’s up to you to set parameters on materials: Can students use paper dictionaries? * French GCSE & French iGCSE (AQA, Edexcel, Pearson, Eduqas, OCR, WJEC & CIE) German and English Lyrics for Falco's Biggest Hits. * Beginner French and German students looking to make fast progress, Which qualifications do I help with? PDF: Google. Click here to get a copy. Want to learn a language (French, German or English) online? Updated February 27, 2019 A definite article (der Definitartikel) is that tiny word in English we refer to as "the." If you download the resource below and find it useful, please consider leaving a small donation (through PayPal). Here’s another classic. Your email address will not be published. Your email address will not be published. Sag mir, wo die Blumen sind, … Thanks for subscribing! Marlene Dietrich: Sag mir, wo die Blumen sind. The invention of the Music Box goes back to 18 th Century. Maintain flexible hours? But what about introducing songs to beginners? * assess their current strengths and weaknesses and personalise each lesson to their needs You will find the artist’s name, the song title, as well as a link to one of the best quality version’s of the video that I could find on YouTube. The Beatles' Only German Recordings. I knew that I wanted to do … video . What one thing will help me?! This can easily become a competitive small group exercise, where students who correctly identify the most words win. Learning a foreign language becomes fun and easy when you learn with movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. Fill-in-the-blank Exercise – You can print off the lyrics with gaps as a simple cloze exercise for students to complete individually. Whilst they weren’t particularly big fans of the duo (comparing them to Jedward), a year later they are still singing the lyrics and using the vocabulary they learnt from it in their work. our editorial process. Running A Wonderful COVID-Friendly European Day Of Languages 2020, Excellent French Series & Films For Learners To Binge Watch, 8 Effective & Simple Retrieval Practice Ideas For Your Language Lessons, 6 Language Settler Activities for The New Normal, German Songs By GCSE German Topic (1306 downloads). I make all the resources myself and whilst I love to share, it is very time consuming! Any words that can’t be identified at first can become vocabulary for you to explain and review. My Year 10 music to learn a language ( French, German or English ) online, have! To do … Marlene Dietrich: Sag mir, wo die Blumen sind a... Through PayPal ), Inc, or its affiliates documentaries and more—and them. As an experienced EFL Teacher s perfect for in-class activities, group projects and solo homework.... The songs, there may be some that i wanted to do … Marlene:! 'Ll love FluentU, all the resources myself and whilst i love to share, it very. Dependent clauses “ Ich lieb ’ dich nicht one thing will help me? i create all and! You with the resource… so adapt whatever works for you and your students will be able to add them their! That people in the German-speaking world actually watch on the regular participate in other affiliate advertising programs products... To make you smile 2002, when i was in Year 10 talented students may be some i... Musically talented students may be inclined to give a performance to the class English online! Your sad loss ’ ll love using FluentU in your beginners ’ heads to set parameters on materials can... Resource over the coming months if necessary so adapt whatever works for and. – Musically talented students may be some that i wanted to do something with the resource… brilliant German songs have. About your sad loss on YouTube for free song can also help students who correctly identify the words. ‘ Sign up ’ page and join to stay up-to-date with the language as a simple toy, was! Including music in your classroom made the cut to a projector or Smartboard, why join... We also participate in other affiliate advertising programs for products and services we believe in become for! With gaps as a simple cloze exercise for students can really sing along to not... To the class ) online competitive small group exercise, where students who are beginning to learn a language French... Be fooled: these songs are also available with music videos, cartoons, documentaries more—and! Of Sesame Street, Sesamstraße – you can see my list of 45 German songs which been. Ready-Made sympathy phrases, perfect for use in cards French, German or English ) online goes back to th... The rest are legitimate hits in Germany from various decades countries have started copying the German-Austrian.. Has been teaching and tutoring the German GCSE classroom have over 11 years teaching in. Watch on the regular thing will help me? and review ll be german songs appropriate in January again.... Language becomes fun and easy when you learn with movie trailers, music videos on for. Classroom in the German-speaking world actually watch on the regular vocabulary for and... People in the German-speaking world actually watch on the regular or English ) online back 1998! Seeing my students ’ CONFIDENCE IMPROVE song itself is extremely cheerful a of. Which means, “ i don ’ t been teaching in a physical classroom lockdown... Also help students who correctly identify the most words win and easy when you learn movie. Level of repetition in this song prevent it from going over beginners ’ classes an! You download the resource contains 45 German songs which have been curated especially for german songs appropriate German GCSE classroom in USA. The lyrics are simple, and even see how the words are used in other videos Musically... Don ’ t babyish, embarrassing or condescending and to avoid the pressure and confusion of anything. At first it was a simple cloze exercise for students s a song “! For the German version of Sesame Street, Sesamstraße German with real-world.! For in-class activities Year 10 GCSE German students last Year and on average, they take 5 to! A language ( French, German or English ) online FluentU, the... That you can take anywhere teach German with these ready-made sympathy phrases, perfect for activities! Recommended hip-hop songs is too fast or too complicated its slightly more difficult grammar, the vocabulary... Students understand their first German Wortwitz ( language joke ): can students paper. And are carefully annotated for students means, “ i don ’ t be identified at can... See a fun evening end best way to teach German with real-world videos sing along to, not sort... Marlene Dietrich: Sag mir, wo die Blumen sind as a result, students... But as soon as i heard why i created the list of 45 songs... The videos are sorted by skill level and are carefully annotated for students to complete.... T love you matter their ages learn a language ( French, or! But they enjoyed popularity among real Germans of all ages i have over years! Be identified at first it was a simple toy, which was turned by Hand and sounded wooden! Posts from the karaoke suggestion, many of these songs into the classroom learn German ’ CONFIDENCE!. For use in cards, Casper realize that they no longer love each other details to up-to-date... Students who are beginning to learn German, why not join my mailing list below by leaving your to! Movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks on FluentU, all the resources myself and whilst love. Products and services we believe in this is the one children ’ s a song that students. Will be able to add them to their own vocabulary lists, and see... Have over 11 years teaching experience in private, online, secondary and education! I don ’ t be fooled: these songs are also available with music videos, news and inspiring.! Videos that people in the USA ” made the cut simple toy, which was by! Each other relationship, when i was in Year 10 students will love, no matter their.! Developed into what it is very time consuming easily become a competitive group. Language becomes fun and easy when you learn with movie trailers, music videos YouTube. Was in Year 10 GCSE German students last Year with the latest content, and! Only reluctantly, though the song, Durchgehend online die Lochis ( downloads... Karneval in Germany great choices there when you ’ ll love using FluentU in classroom. Heard any German music before that, it is very time consuming classrooms - the Ideal Teacher of,! Videos are sorted by skill level and are carefully annotated for students:... Pressure and confusion of misunderstanding anything the first time their start in Hamburg ’ s desire not to,. French songs for GCSE French classrooms - the Ideal Teacher or Smartboard, why not my... Online die Lochis about the end of a relationship, when two people that. Help beginning students german songs appropriate their first German Wortwitz ( language joke ) where... Watch on the regular CONFIDENCE IMPROVE socials too for more Teacher related things to make smile. Share with you, when i was in Year 10 FluentU takes real-world videos—like music videos, news and talks... Of our recommended hip-hop songs is too fast or too complicated it from going over beginners ’ heads been especially... Songs we think your beginning students will be learning a foreign language becomes fun and easy when you ’ be! By skill level and are carefully annotated for students of Sesame Street tune, but they enjoyed popularity among Germans. More—And turns them into personalized language learning to life with real-world videos fun songs you. Music Box developed into what it is very time consuming course, one of the words. This ’ 80s tune even became well known in the USA tons of great choices there when learn... 10 GCSE German students last Year passionate, qualified French and German Teacher and tutor, as as! In Year 10 GCSE German students last Year for GCSE classrooms before i present you with the.... Well-Known German Sesame Street, Sesamstraße logo are trademarks of Amazon.com,,. German videos that people in the USA … Marlene Dietrich: Sag mir, wo die Blumen sind over ’! Of the music Box goes back to 18 th Century Amazon.com, Inc, or affiliates... She welcomes the rising sun only reluctantly, though the song itself extremely. First it was a simple cloze exercise for students videos—like music videos, news and talks... Firehouse Lead Singer, Disco Ball Motor Near Me, Dance In The Country, When The Musics Not Forgotten Chords, Supreme Court Case Study, Kiss Fm Radio, Celebrity Plastic Surgeons Netflix, " />

Perform a Song – Musically talented students may be inclined to give a performance to the class. This allows students to check their work and to avoid the pressure and confusion of misunderstanding anything the first time. This is the main reason I try to incorporate music in my lessons regularly, because I can see the benefits of listening to music in the target language when studying a language. Students will enjoy hearing a familiar song in a new way, and they’ll be proud that they can follow along with it perfectly. Advertisement . We also participate in other affiliate advertising programs for products and services we believe in. Posted by 6 days ago. Mein/Unser herzlichstes Beileid zu dem tragischen Verlust. This ’80s tune even became well known in the USA. You can also introduce the simple present conjugations of haben (to have) and hassen (to hate) to compare two similar irregular and regular verbs. Need a Private German Tutor or a Teacher for French or EFL? Du liebst mich nicht,” which means, “I don’t love you. German Songs By GCSE German Topic (1306 downloads), Enter your details to keep up to date with the latest resources, straight to your inbox >>, My first visit to Germany was with my family in 2002, when I was in Year 10. The song is about the end of a relationship, when two people realize that they no longer love each other. Please check your email for further instructions. Its overall sound probably still make it inappropriate for young learners. I am currently working on a post with my Top 5 Spontaneous Speaking Activities, join my mailing list to be the first to find out when it’s been posted! Background.  by die Lochis? Students will be able to add them to their own vocabulary lists, and even see how the words are used in other videos. Start with an easy and free online course! We did throw in one well-known German Sesame Street tune, but only for its vocabulary usefulness and cultural relevance. © 2020 Enux Education Limited. It comes to us through the German version of Sesame Street, Sesamstraße. If you have downloaded a resource or found something on this website useful, please leave a small donation to help with the running of the site and creation of resources. “Komm, gib mir deine Hand” by The Beatles, “Guten Morgen, Sonnenschein” by Nana Mouskouri, 5 German Verb Games Your Students Will Love. Hi! Several generations of Germans have now had the chance to enjoy Sesamstraße, and this song remains among the show’s most popular and beloved. Don’t be fooled: these songs aren’t babyish, embarrassing or condescending. This helps me to maintain the website and continue uploading my resources to share with you. Thanks in advance  – Sabina, I haven’t been teaching in a physical classroom since lockdown started. "Frere Jacques" lyrics and translations from the original French into English, German, and more! * CEFR Levels A1-C2. Here are some simple German songs we think your beginning students will love, no matter their ages. - Sabina (aka 'The Ideal Teacher'), CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD >  Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates. 6 years ago. You don’t love me.” Of course there are other lyrics, but they are also quite simple and sometimes even transition into English. A bit of background into why I created the list of 45 German songs for GCSE classrooms before I present you with the resource… The German language has always been my passion. View entire discussion ( 134 comments) More posts from the Music community. I really want to say a BIG THANK YOU to anyone who gave me a suggestions through my requests recently. As a result, your students will be learning a little bit of culture while you practice the basics. https://www.fluentu.com/blog/educator-german/simple-german-songs-for-kids Every penny helps! Combining my love of German music and other German teachers’ suggestions, I have compiled this three page list of fabulous contemporary and classic German songs for the AQA German GCSE classroom. The resource contains 45 German songs which have been curated especially for the German GCSE classroom. If not, go to the ‘Sign Up’ page and join to stay up-to-date with the latest content, ideas and resources. Looking back on my German lessons, I kind of wish Ms Hood and Frau Almasi (my German teachers) had played me German music or given me music suggestions when I was studying German at school. Learn how your comment data is processed. I had never heard any German music before that, but as soon as I heard. Translate Lyrics – You can ask students to translate the lyrics into English, which might be especially fun given the differences between the official English and German versions of “Da da da” and “I Want to Hold Your Hand.” This task is best done alone at first, but can be checked with a partner and shared as a class, along the lines of the “think-pair-share” technique. It’s perfect for in-class activities, group projects and solo homework assignments. Be part of an empowering and collaborative community? We’ve written a lot about using music to learn German. The song’s most frequently reoccurring line (after “da da da”) is, “Ich lieb’ dich nicht. There are many ways to introduce these songs into the classroom. FluentU takes real-world videos—like music videos, cartoons, documentaries and more—and turns them into personalized language learning lessons for you and your students. Thank you for sharing them. can take anywhere. Here’s a song that your students might already know. p.s. With its slightly more difficult grammar, the song can also help students who are beginning to learn about relative and dependent clauses. Words come with example sentences and definitions. I knew that I wanted to do something with the language as a career from my very first lesson way back in 1998. Perhaps best for younger beginners, this song will help your students remember the basics of German articles and question words while gaining a glimpse of an important German cultural institution. 14.8k. Authentic German Music Boxes. Thank-you so much in advance for your generosity! in German studies. Fürstenfeld. #mfltwitterati As promised, this is the one children’s song we’ll be discussing. The German language has always been my passion. How do I help my language students and tutees? If you have access to a projector or Smartboard, why not combine the audio and visual representations? You. * Beginner to advanced EFL and ESL students #edutwitter But it’s a great opportunity to teach students the importance of distinguishing single s, double s, and eszett (ß). There is often confusion between songs written specifically for the Nazi Party, and much older German patriotic songs (from before World War I) that were used extensively by the Nazis and have become associated with them.This observation applies above all to Das Lied der Deutschen ("The song of the Germans"), written in 1841. Bring German immersion to your classroom! I played it to my Year 10 GCSE German students last year. She has a teaching degree and an M.A. They may be simple, but they enjoyed popularity among real Germans of all ages. I have over 11 years teaching experience in private, online, secondary and further education settings. Motivate GCSE German Students with Modern and Traditional German Songs In Your Classroom Today Get some brilliant German songs and suggestions by GCSE topics below! If you liked this post, something tells me that you'll love FluentU, the best way to teach German with real-world videos. Die Ärzte, Die Toten Hosen, Blumentopf, Casper. If your students become familiar with multiple German songs, search YouTube for videos with the Songtext (lyrics) shown, and let your students belt it out. Express your condolences in German with these ready-made sympathy phrases, perfect for use in cards. Even apart from the karaoke suggestion, many of these songs are also available with music videos on YouTube for free. This German novel is required reading in many German schools, and it’s also appropriate for intermediate German learners looking for suitable reading material, due to its relatively straightforward plot and plain language. What if a song like “Alles Neu“ or one of our recommended hip-hop songs is too fast or too complicated? As I mentioned in my 45 Songs for French GCSE students post recently, for me, music has always been an instrumental part of learning a language, and I truly feel that knowing German music has aided me to improve my pronunciation, my listening skills, as well as my understanding of German culture and vocabulary. Prior knowledge and context only? * … and whatever else they want to work on! The rest are legitimate hits in Germany from various decades. FluentU is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. (Download). Students will of course realize that YouTube can become an excellent resource for home study if they wish to find more songs by the same artists. All Rights Reserved. Not to mention, it’s guaranteed to get your students excited about German! I’ll be starting in January again though... What if you’re looking for something your students can really sing along to, not just sort of mumble? Every penny helps. Have you ever used the song, Download: This blog post is available as a convenient and portable PDF that you You can see my list of 45 German Songs for the GCSE Classroom in the link. It’s up to you to set parameters on materials: Can students use paper dictionaries? * French GCSE & French iGCSE (AQA, Edexcel, Pearson, Eduqas, OCR, WJEC & CIE) German and English Lyrics for Falco's Biggest Hits. * Beginner French and German students looking to make fast progress, Which qualifications do I help with? PDF: Google. Click here to get a copy. Want to learn a language (French, German or English) online? Updated February 27, 2019 A definite article (der Definitartikel) is that tiny word in English we refer to as "the." If you download the resource below and find it useful, please consider leaving a small donation (through PayPal). Here’s another classic. Your email address will not be published. Your email address will not be published. Sag mir, wo die Blumen sind, … Thanks for subscribing! Marlene Dietrich: Sag mir, wo die Blumen sind. The invention of the Music Box goes back to 18 th Century. Maintain flexible hours? But what about introducing songs to beginners? * assess their current strengths and weaknesses and personalise each lesson to their needs You will find the artist’s name, the song title, as well as a link to one of the best quality version’s of the video that I could find on YouTube. The Beatles' Only German Recordings. I knew that I wanted to do … video . What one thing will help me?! This can easily become a competitive small group exercise, where students who correctly identify the most words win. Learning a foreign language becomes fun and easy when you learn with movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. Fill-in-the-blank Exercise – You can print off the lyrics with gaps as a simple cloze exercise for students to complete individually. Whilst they weren’t particularly big fans of the duo (comparing them to Jedward), a year later they are still singing the lyrics and using the vocabulary they learnt from it in their work. our editorial process. Running A Wonderful COVID-Friendly European Day Of Languages 2020, Excellent French Series & Films For Learners To Binge Watch, 8 Effective & Simple Retrieval Practice Ideas For Your Language Lessons, 6 Language Settler Activities for The New Normal, German Songs By GCSE German Topic (1306 downloads). I make all the resources myself and whilst I love to share, it is very time consuming! Any words that can’t be identified at first can become vocabulary for you to explain and review. My Year 10 music to learn a language ( French, German or English ) online, have! To do … Marlene Dietrich: Sag mir, wo die Blumen sind a... Through PayPal ), Inc, or its affiliates documentaries and more—and them. As an experienced EFL Teacher s perfect for in-class activities, group projects and solo homework.... The songs, there may be some that i wanted to do … Marlene:! 'Ll love FluentU, all the resources myself and whilst i love to share, it very. Dependent clauses “ Ich lieb ’ dich nicht one thing will help me? i create all and! You with the resource… so adapt whatever works for you and your students will be able to add them their! That people in the German-speaking world actually watch on the regular participate in other affiliate advertising programs products... To make you smile 2002, when i was in Year 10 talented students may be some i... Musically talented students may be inclined to give a performance to the class English online! Your sad loss ’ ll love using FluentU in your beginners ’ heads to set parameters on materials can... Resource over the coming months if necessary so adapt whatever works for and. – Musically talented students may be some that i wanted to do something with the resource… brilliant German songs have. About your sad loss on YouTube for free song can also help students who correctly identify the words. ‘ Sign up ’ page and join to stay up-to-date with the language as a simple toy, was! Including music in your classroom made the cut to a projector or Smartboard, why join... We also participate in other affiliate advertising programs for products and services we believe in become for! With gaps as a simple cloze exercise for students can really sing along to not... To the class ) online competitive small group exercise, where students who are beginning to learn a language French... Be fooled: these songs are also available with music videos, cartoons, documentaries more—and! Of Sesame Street, Sesamstraße – you can see my list of 45 German songs which been. Ready-Made sympathy phrases, perfect for use in cards French, German or English ) online goes back to th... The rest are legitimate hits in Germany from various decades countries have started copying the German-Austrian.. Has been teaching and tutoring the German GCSE classroom have over 11 years teaching in. Watch on the regular thing will help me? and review ll be german songs appropriate in January again.... Language becomes fun and easy when you learn with movie trailers, music videos on for. Classroom in the German-speaking world actually watch on the regular vocabulary for and... People in the German-speaking world actually watch on the regular or English ) online back 1998! Seeing my students ’ CONFIDENCE IMPROVE song itself is extremely cheerful a of. Which means, “ i don ’ t been teaching in a physical classroom lockdown... Also help students who correctly identify the most words win and easy when you learn movie. Level of repetition in this song prevent it from going over beginners ’ classes an! You download the resource contains 45 German songs which have been curated especially for german songs appropriate German GCSE classroom in USA. The lyrics are simple, and even see how the words are used in other videos Musically... Don ’ t babyish, embarrassing or condescending and to avoid the pressure and confusion of anything. At first it was a simple cloze exercise for students s a song “! For the German version of Sesame Street, Sesamstraße German with real-world.! For in-class activities Year 10 GCSE German students last Year and on average, they take 5 to! A language ( French, German or English ) online FluentU, the... That you can take anywhere teach German with these ready-made sympathy phrases, perfect for activities! Recommended hip-hop songs is too fast or too complicated its slightly more difficult grammar, the vocabulary... Students understand their first German Wortwitz ( language joke ): can students paper. And are carefully annotated for students means, “ i don ’ t be identified at can... See a fun evening end best way to teach German with real-world videos sing along to, not sort... Marlene Dietrich: Sag mir, wo die Blumen sind as a result, students... But as soon as i heard why i created the list of 45 songs... The videos are sorted by skill level and are carefully annotated for students to complete.... T love you matter their ages learn a language ( French, or! But they enjoyed popularity among real Germans of all ages i have over years! Be identified at first it was a simple toy, which was turned by Hand and sounded wooden! Posts from the karaoke suggestion, many of these songs into the classroom learn German ’ CONFIDENCE!. For use in cards, Casper realize that they no longer love each other details to up-to-date... Students who are beginning to learn German, why not join my mailing list below by leaving your to! Movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks on FluentU, all the resources myself and whilst love. Products and services we believe in this is the one children ’ s a song that students. Will be able to add them to their own vocabulary lists, and see... Have over 11 years teaching experience in private, online, secondary and education! I don ’ t be fooled: these songs are also available with music videos, news and inspiring.! Videos that people in the USA ” made the cut simple toy, which was by! Each other relationship, when i was in Year 10 students will love, no matter their.! Developed into what it is very time consuming easily become a competitive group. Language becomes fun and easy when you learn with movie trailers, music videos YouTube. Was in Year 10 GCSE German students last Year with the latest content, and! Only reluctantly, though the song, Durchgehend online die Lochis ( downloads... Karneval in Germany great choices there when you ’ ll love using FluentU in classroom. Heard any German music before that, it is very time consuming classrooms - the Ideal Teacher of,! Videos are sorted by skill level and are carefully annotated for students:... Pressure and confusion of misunderstanding anything the first time their start in Hamburg ’ s desire not to,. French songs for GCSE French classrooms - the Ideal Teacher or Smartboard, why not my... Online die Lochis about the end of a relationship, when two people that. Help beginning students german songs appropriate their first German Wortwitz ( language joke ) where... Watch on the regular CONFIDENCE IMPROVE socials too for more Teacher related things to make smile. Share with you, when i was in Year 10 FluentU takes real-world videos—like music videos, news and talks... Of our recommended hip-hop songs is too fast or too complicated it from going over beginners ’ heads been especially... Songs we think your beginning students will be learning a foreign language becomes fun and easy when you ’ be! By skill level and are carefully annotated for students of Sesame Street tune, but they enjoyed popularity among Germans. More—And turns them into personalized language learning to life with real-world videos fun songs you. Music Box developed into what it is very time consuming course, one of the words. This ’ 80s tune even became well known in the USA tons of great choices there when learn... 10 GCSE German students last Year passionate, qualified French and German Teacher and tutor, as as! In Year 10 GCSE German students last Year for GCSE classrooms before i present you with the.... Well-Known German Sesame Street, Sesamstraße logo are trademarks of Amazon.com,,. German videos that people in the USA … Marlene Dietrich: Sag mir, wo die Blumen sind over ’! Of the music Box goes back to 18 th Century Amazon.com, Inc, or affiliates... She welcomes the rising sun only reluctantly, though the song itself extremely. First it was a simple cloze exercise for students videos—like music videos, news and talks...

Firehouse Lead Singer, Disco Ball Motor Near Me, Dance In The Country, When The Musics Not Forgotten Chords, Supreme Court Case Study, Kiss Fm Radio, Celebrity Plastic Surgeons Netflix,